Updating a Name in the EMR
When a therapist or therapy assistant legally changes their name, there are a few steps you’ll need to take in the WebPT EMR and any Billing Integrations to ensure the process goes smoothly.
- Update EMR User Profile
- Update EMR Calendar Name(s)
- Update Name on Previously Finalized Notes
- Update Therabill
- Update RevFlow
- Update WebPT Billing
Note: This article is about updating the legal name of a user in the WebPT EMR. For instructions about updating a username, please visit Add or Edit User Profile (User Manager Only).
Update EMR User Profile
Let’s review how to update an individual’s name in their user profile.
- Click your clinic name in the upper right corner, and select User Manager.
- Search for the user that needs to be updated.
- Click the Edit link for the user that needs to be updated.
- The edit user profile displays.
- Under the Profile Details section, update the Full Name field and the corresponding First Name and Last Name fields.
- Next, under the Therapist Signature section, click the drop-down menu and select Select a Signature.
- Then, choose a signature that matches the updated name for the user profile. To make a selection, click on the chosen signature and a blue line will outline the selection you’ve made.
- Once all of the changes have been made, click Save User at the bottom of the page.
Update Calendar Name(s)
Next, you’ll want to view the calendar name to make sure it matches the user’s updated name. If the therapist/assistant treats patients at more than one location, please ensure you update each of their different location calendars.
- In the Scheduler section, click View Schedule.
- If the name displayed for the therapist does not match the updates to their user profile, then you will need to click Manage Calendars under the Schedule Actions section.
- Then, click the Calendar Settings and User Permissions tab.
- In the Calendar Selection field, type in the therapist’s name and select the appropriate name once it populates.
- Next, in the Calendar Name field, type in the updated first/last name of the therapist.
- Finally, make sure the Calendar belongs to matches the name of the therapist in the Calendar Name field.
- Once that is complete, click Save.
- Now, if you click View Calendar in the Scheduler, the updated therapist name will display.
Updated Name on Previously Finalized Notes
Once the appropriate changes have been made in the WebPT EMR, the name change will appear on all future finalized notes. However, if the therapist or assistant would like for their updated name to show on previously finalized notes, they will need to add an addendum to said notes.
If your organization uses one of the WebPT Billing solutions, there are a few more steps you’ll need to take to ensure the name change does not impact billing.
Once the therapist or assistant’s name is updated in the EMR, you will need to update their name in Therabill, as this update does not happen automatically.
You will receive an HL7 Transmission error on your dashboard in the Things to Do section if the name in the EMR for the provider does not match the name for that same provider in Therabill.
Let’s review how to update a Provider name in Therabill.
- Navigate to the Provider menu and select Provider List.
- Then, use the search bar or scroll to find the name of the provider that needs to be updated.
- Once you have located the appropriate provider, click the Edit Provider icon.
- On the Basic Info tab, you will want to update the appropriate name fields.
- Next, click on the Signature Image box.
- To update the signature on file, click Remove.
- A pop-up box displays asking if you are sure you’d like to remove the signature. To do so, click Yes, Remove It.
- The signature box will display empty.
- Sign on the line for the new provider signature using your computer mouse and click Submit Signature.
- If you want to redo the signature, click the Clear button to redo it before submitting the signature.
- Now, click Done.
- Once the signature and appropriate name information is entered, click Save and Done.
Resolving the HL7 Error
- Now that you have updated the Provider’s name and signature in Therabill, you can click Reprocess in the HL7 error callout box.
- Then, the HL7 Transmission error will be resolved.
Once you have updated the provider’s name in the EMR, you will need to submit a request to EDI.email@example.com to complete the name change in RevFlow. In the email, include a copy of the updated therapist or assistant’s license. View our EDI Request Reference Guide for further detail.
Once you have updated the provider’s name in the EMR, you will need to submit a request to EDI.firstname.lastname@example.org to complete the name change in RevFlow/WebPT Billing. In the email, include a copy of the updated therapist or assistant’s license. View our EDI Request Reference Guide for further detail.
Self Service (Software Only) Members
- Navigate to the Admin menu and select Providers.
- Use the search criteria to locate the provider by Provider Code, Last Name, and/or First Name. Then, click Search.
- Once you’ve located the appropriate provider, double click on their name.
- Next, in the Provider Information section, update the Provider’s first and/or last name. You may also need to update the Provider Description field if it includes the Provider’s previous name.
- Once the changes have been made to the Provider’s profile, click Save.