Measure 181: Elder Maltreatment Screen and Follow-Up Plan (SOAP 2.0)
This is a guide for 2.0 measure reporting. For 1.0 measure reporting, click here.
Mistreatment of older adults represents a widespread problem and elder maltreatment is being increasingly recognized as a global health issue. Screening for potential elder maltreatment provides a method of identifying those who may be at risk and provides an opportunity for interventions to be instituted to decrease further incidents, decrease or prevent harm, and improve the overall quality of life for the elderly victim and their family and/or caregiver(s).
Who can report this measure?
PTs, OTs, and SLPs are all eligible to report on this measure.
- Patient age (65 or older)
- Visit type: Initial Evaluation
When do I report on this measure?
Reporting is once per performance period and only when an eligible procedure code is billed.
Eligible Procedure Codes
PT: 97161, 97162, 97163
OT: 97165, 97166, 97167
SLP: 92521, 92522, 92523
- Screen for Elder Maltreatment: An elder maltreatment screen should include assessment and documentation of one or more of the following components
- physical abuse
- emotional or psychological abuse
- neglect (active or passive)
- sexual abuse
- financial or material exploitation
- unwarranted control
- Follow-Up Plan: Must include a documented report to state or local Adult Protective Services (APS) or the appropriate state agency (if the screen is positive for abuse).
Note: Self-neglect is a prevalent form of abuse in the elderly population. Screening for self-neglect is not included in this measure. Resources for suspected self-neglect are listed below.
For more information on Measure 181, please see the Measure Specification Guide.
Reporting Measure 181 in the WebPT EMR
- Click the MIPS badge in the Case Summary to view the current Measure Status. Here you will see all measures that the patient is eligible for based on their Diagnoses and Procedure Code.
- On the Objective section, select the Standardized Tests subsection to view and edit the required fields for Measure 181.
- Administer the test and select the appropriate radio buttons to complete the Elder Abuse Suspicion Index (EASI).
- Measure Met: If the EASI yields a positive result, complete the Follow-Up Plan to satisfy measure requirements. This triggers a Measure Met indicator in the Measure Status column.
- When finished documenting, validate the selection in the MIPS tab.
- Excluded: Select the Excluded radio button if the patient is not eligible for elder maltreatment screening or documentation of follow-up plan, then select the Reason in the required field. Possible reasons may include:
- Patient refuses to participate and has reasonable decisional capacity for self-protection
- Patient is in an urgent or emergent situation where time is of the essence and to delay treatment would jeopardize the patient’s health status
- Not Met: Select the Not Met radio button if:
- No documentation of elder maltreatment screen, reason not given
- Elder maltreatment screen documented as positive, follow-up plan not documented, reason not given
- If the note is signed without completing the required fields, an alert will appear. Required fields must be completed before submitting the note.