Measure 128: Body Mass Index (BMI) Screening and Follow-Up
This article is a guide for 1.0 measure reporting. For 2.0 measure reporting, click here.
BMI numbers outside of normal parameters are determined to population health, regardless of whether the patient is above or below the expected range. Screening for BMI and follow-up, therefore, contributes to quality goals of population health and cost reduction.
Who can report this measure?
PTs and OTs can report this measure.
- Patient age (18 or older)
- BMI ≥ 18.5 and < 25 kg/m2
- Visit type: Initial Evaluation
Do I have to report on this measure for every visit?
Reporting is once per performance period. If more than one BMI is submitted during the measurement period, then the most recent BMI will be used to determine if the performance has been met.
Eligible Procedure Codes
- PT: 97161, 97162, 97163
- OT: 97165, 97166, 97167
- Patient height and weight (measured by staff; self-reporting values not allowed)
- Patient BMI
- If the BMI is below or above normal for the patient’s age, then you must have a follow-up plan that includes details regarding one or more of the following options:
- Education – counseling you provided regarding weight management and/or resources available to the individual for further education.
- Referral to a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN), exercise physiologist, mental health professional, or surgeon, for lifestyle/behavior therapy
- Referral to primary care provider – specific physician referred to.
- Dietary supplements
- Exercise counseling
- Nutrition counseling
For more information on Measure 128, please see the Measure Specification Guide.
Measure Reporting in WebPT
- On the Objective Tab, select the Body Mass Index link from Measure 128 in the MIPS Measure Tests section.
- In the Inspection section, select the Yes radio button next to Body Mass Index.
- Enter the patient’s Weight and Height. Remember, these must be measured in the clinic (not self-reported).
- The EMR will calculate the Index number.
- If the patient is outside of the expected parameters, complete the Followup Plan field.
- When finished documenting, validate the selection in the MIPS tab.
MIPS Tab: Reporting Selections
In the MIPS tab, select the measure that best fits your documentation. Below, we’ve indicated which selections meet the performance expectations.