Measure 226: Preventive Care and Screening: Tobacco Use: Screening and Cessation Intervention
This is a guide for 1.0 measure reporting. For 2.0 measure reporting, click here.
This measure is intended to promote adult tobacco screening and tobacco cessation interventions for those who use tobacco products. There is good evidence to suggest that tobacco screening and brief cessation intervention (including counseling and/or pharmacotherapy) is successful in helping tobacco users quit. Tobacco users who are able to stop using tobacco lower their risk for heart disease, lung disease, and stroke.
Who can report this measure?
PTs, OTs, and SLPs can report on this measure through the WebPT MIPS registry.
- Patient age (18 or older)
- Visit Type: Initial Evaluation or Re-Evaluation
When do I report on this measure?
Reporting is once per performance period and only when an eligible procedure code is billed.
Eligible Procedure Codes
- PT: 97161, 97162, 97163
- OT: 97165, 97166, 97167, 97168
- SLP: 92521, 92522, 92523, 92524
- Determine whether the patient is a tobacco user. This includes any type of tobacco.
- If the patient is a tobacco user, complete a Tobacco Cessation Intervention which includes brief counseling (3 minutes or less) and/or pharmacotherapy. Note: For the purpose of this measure, brief counseling (e.g., minimal and intensive advice/counseling interventions conducted both in person and over the phone) qualify as a quality intervention. Written self-help materials (e.g., brochures, pamphlets) and complementary/alternative therapies do not qualify.
For more information on Measure 226, please see the Measure Specification Guide.
Reporting Measure 226
This measure is completed on the Subjective tab.
- In the Medical History section, select the Yes radio button for Occupation/Social History.
- First, begin by screening the patient for tobacco use, then answering the question Is Patient a Tobacco User? using the Yes/No radio buttons. N/A is not a reporting response.
- Select Yes if the patient smokes or uses other forms of tobacco.
- This allows you to select that you’ve completed the Tobacco Cessation Intervention described by the measure. To indicate that you have completed this, select Advice and support provided for smoking cessation.
- When finished documenting, validate the selection in the MIPS tab.
MIPS Tab: Reporting Selections
This measure is broken out into three separate reporting sections in the MIPS tab. The order of sections does not affect functionality of the report. For each section, the system will automatically select the measure that best fits your documentation. You must complete all three sections to satisfy the measure reporting requirements. Below, we’ve indicated which selections meet the performance expectations.