Plan of Care: Process
Let’s review the process of faxing a Plan of Care and uploading a signed Plan of Care to a patient’s chart.
- You can create a Plan of Care document on the Plan tab of any evaluative note by checking the Create Plan of Care Document box, selecting a Frequency, and entering the From and To dates. For more information, please see: Plan of Care FAQs.
- After a Plan of Care has been created, select Fax it from the drop-down menu and press the Play button.
- In the window that opens, the Address Book will automatically include the Referring Physician in the To field. You can add additional recipients and include a message. When ready, click the Send Fax button. For more information, please see: How to Fax a Document.
- The note drop-down will change to Upload Physician Signature once complete. Also, an icon will appear on the entry to signify that it has been faxed.
- Run the Plan of Care Report for Signature status to see all documents that are overdue for a signature, waiting for a signature response, not yet sent out for signature, or have already been signed.
- You will also see alerts throughout the application. For more information, please see Plan of Care Alerts.
- After receiving the signed Plan of Care, navigate to the patient’s chart and ensure the Records section is selected.
- Locate the Plan of Care and click the Play button next to Upload Physician Signature. This will open the eDoc section.
- Use Quick Scan or Browse to queue the signed POC for upload into the application. Be sure to select Plan of Care as the Document Type, mark the file as a Signed Document, and indicate the Assigned Case, Assigned Note, and signing Physician. For more information, please see: Using eDoc in a Patient's Chart.
- Once all of the information has been entered, select Save Document to attach the signed POC to the patient’s case.
- On the patient’s chart, the action menu for the Plan of Care entry will change from Upload Physician Signature to View PDF. You’ll also notice a pencil icon appears indicating a signed document.
What do I do when the Plan of Care expires?
Once the Plan of Care expires, the therapist won’t be able to complete a daily note until new POC dates are established. If the patient needs to continue treatment, the Therapist must create a new POC using an evaluative note such as a progress note or a re-examination/re-certification note.
- If you are not providing a full examination, you don’t need to bill an examination CPT code; you can bill as you normally would on a daily note.
- Establish the new Plan of Care dates and finalize the notes.
- Follow the same process described above to fax the POC and upload the physician's signature.
- As soon as the new plan dates have been established, the provider can document using daily notes again.